George Garrastegui earned his BFA from State University of New York Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) and this MFA from the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). George is a designer educator and a creative Catalyst. He's a native New Yorker who looks to the city's rich history and culture for inspiration in his work. He has an extensive background in publishing, marketing, and strategy which allowed him to craft creative solutions for clients such as Popular Mechanics, Esquire, Cadillac, and Ford. When not teaching strategic thinking and process at the City University of New York, New York City College of Technology, George works to create industry connections and access for emerging designers via his role on the AIGA National diversity and inclusion task force. George focuses on projects that initiate and discuss the creative process and has turned that passion into the podcast Works & Process. George lives by the belief that you are not a designer because it's your job, you are a designer because it's who you are. The passion is evident in this episode as we have a lengthy conversation beyond the typical desired length for the design podcast. Every minute is dedicated to the discussion on creating success in design education and I know you'll find the conversation valuable.
Recorded 5.17.2019, Aired 6.7.2019
Links of note!
Where to find George Garrategui online
- Website: http://garrastegui.me/
- CUNY City Tech: http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/communication-design/faculty.aspx
- CUNY City Tech Communication Design: http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/communication-design/#
- work[s] in process podcast: http://wip.show/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ggarrastegui/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ggarrastegui/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ggarrastegui
Mentioned during the podcast
- AIGA New York: https://www.aigany.org/
- AIGA AIGA National diversity and inclusion task force: https://www.aiga.org/diversity-and-inclusion-task-force
- High School of Art and Design: http://www.artanddesignhs.org/
- BA, State University of New York Fashion Institute of Technology: http://www.fitnyc.edu/graphic-design/index.php
- MFA, Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD): https://www.scad.edu/academics/programs/graphic-design/degrees/mfa
Music featured on this Episode
- Opening and closing track: “Street Background Vlog Hip-Hop.mp3”
Where to find The DESIGNED Podcast ™
- Apple Podcasts – Please, feel free to rate and leave a review!
- Google Music
Where to find Pete Bella online
Contact The DESIGNED Podcast ™