Herb Vincent Peterson is an award-winning multidisciplinary creative director, design researcher, and educator with experience in strategic branding and social design practices. After a career working with global brand giants (Gap, Old Navy, GM, and Urban Outfitters) Peterson realigned his practice to focus solely on socially engaged organizations. Peterson's research lies at the intersection of community and design pedagogy aimed to bring sustainable change for rural America. Among other things, he filled the role of executive director of Open and Build; a not-for-profit design network initially started in Columbus, Ohio. More recently he co-founded, Marion Design Co. a socially driven design studio that applies design-focused research and education into action in rural Indiana.
Peterson has been able to work with a variety of communities, higher education institutions, and to the broad spectrum of not-for-profit organizations and major retail companies, such as the Guggenheim Museum, The Wexner Center for the Arts, Gap Inc (Old Navy, Gap), Hoosier Lotto, Saturn GM, Kroger Super Markets, Indianapolis Arts Council, Full Circle, Happi Brands, Urban Outfitters, and with contemporary artists such as Ann Hamilton, Michael Mercil, Susan Stewart and Linda Adele Goodine. Featured in numerous national and international magazines, books and exhibitions at venues such as, The Wexner Center for the Arts, The Indianapolis Museum of Art, Elizabeth Gallery in London, Art-Basel; Miami, Sean Christopher Gallery; Ohio, Agora; New York, Kuhn Fine Arts Center, Jacksson Contemporary Art, Williams Art Galleries at Indiana Wesleyan University, and more recently at the Union University art Museum.
For the past 15 years, Peterson has taught Design and fine art to numerous students at universities including, the Herron School of Art and Design, Ohio Dominican University, The Ohio State University, and currently at Indiana Wesleyan University where he serves as an Associate Professor and Coordinator of the Visual Communication Design program. Peterson holds a BFA from the Herron School of Art and Design where he studied Photography and Visual Communication Design, an MFA emphasizing in interdisciplinary research, focusing on Visual Design and Education from The Ohio State University, and currently is working on a doctorate in Design in the College of Design at North Carolina State University.
Recorded 8.27.2019, Aired 9.6.2019
Links of Note
Where to find Herb Vincent Peterson online
- Website: herbpeterson.com
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/herbvincentpeterson
- Instagram: @herbvincentp
- Twitter: @herbvincentp
Mentioned during this podcast
- Marion Design Co: mariondesign.co
- Marion Design Co (Facebook): facebook.com/mariondesignco
- Marion Design Co (Instagram): instagram.com/mariondesignco
- Marion Design Co (Twitter): twitter.com/mariondesignco
- Indiana Wesleyan University MARION DESIGN CO.: http://www.iwupresident.com/marion-design-co/
- Medium Marion Design Co: medium.com/@mariondesignco/gaining-inspiration-in-detroit
- Book; Design is a Job: amazon.com/Design-Job-Mike-Monteiro
- Book; Ways of Seeing: amazon.com/Ways-Seeing-John-Berger
- BookBuddy App: kimicoapps.com/bookbuddy
Music featured on this Episode
- Opening and closing track: “Street Background Vlog Hip-Hop”
Where to find the DESIGN DEDUX™ podcast
- Apple Podcasts – Please, feel free to rate and leave a review!
- Google Music
Where to find Pete Bella online